Monday, December 6, 2010

November 15-19, 2010

                                                                                                  November 15-Monday, I am really excited on this day because it's gonna be my first day on the field with a reporter. I am with the neophyte reporter Ms. Ana Desamparado together with the cameraman Sir Godfrey Rellin. At first, I felt so awkward and quiet to be with them because I am a shy-type of person. If I'll borrow the term of Fatrick...it seems I'm just a "wallpaper". I never talked unless they asked something to me. I just don't want to guarrantee being labeled as the expression "FC or feeling close". I know along the way we would meet on the right track.
      Around 2:00 pm, we departed GMA and went to Cebu Provincial Capitol to cover a session in the legislative building. When we arrived , the session already started with Vice Gov. Gregorio Sanchez as the presiding officer with the presence of the Provincial Board Members. I got the chance to see my classmates Allan Luigi Flores who is connected with DYAB and Alfie Sollano with his senior reporter Ms. Astra Logarta of DYHP. In the middle of the session, we already left because nothing so intriguing according to Ms. Ana that being tackled.
      The second assignment of Ms. Ana is to cover a forum about climate change which is spearheaded by Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Incorporated or RAFI at their Convention Hall in Lopez Jaena St., Cebu City. We stayed there for long and finished the forum around 5:00 pm. I saw my classmate Davinci Maru together with Sun.Star's correspondent Rebelander Basilan and Cebu Daily News' reporter Candeze Mongaya who also covered the forum. The climate change forum is very interesting because it sought to widen the knowledge about hte recent changes of phenomena globally for public awareness. The speakers were composed of a lawyer and a dean of Ateneo de Manila University(Sorry, I forgot his name.), an environment advocate from Germany, a student leader from University of San Carlos-Technological Center, and a staff of RAFI. The forum is also being attended by students and teachers of different universities and colleges such as USC-TC, University of Cebu, University of San Jose-Recoletos, Asian College of Technology, and friends from the media. This is really a good initiative of RAFI having come up this kind of forum most especially that the world is timely hit by unexplainable changes in our environment. This is a serious matter.
      I know it has been a long time that RAFI has this kind of advocacy which is to help save the environment. Since then during my internship at THE FREEMAN, I am always assigned to cover RAFI's activities. One program that RAFI has concerning with the environment is their GREENIN' Philippines Program which stands for "Generation, REdemption, and Expansion of Natural resources INitiatives in the Philippines". I truly appreciated this program. Having this vision of developing real forests, RAFI continued to upscale the rehabilitation and conservation practices in improving environmental conditions and landscapes. The program seeks to contribute to the attainment of the country's goal of enhancing and/or maintaining environmental integrity by restoring biodiversity without compromising the potential for human settlements to grow and expand. I just want to clarify that I am not being paid by RAFI for this or I am RAFI's Public Relations Officer---how I wish then! Kudos to RAFI!
      November 16-Tuesday, It's a national holiday as being declared by Malacañang Palace in celebration of Eid'l Adha or Feast of Sacrifice of our Muslim brothers and sisters. So there is no class in all levels and no work in both public and private offices. We got the chance to have a whole day of duty. All of us experienced to be on the field with respective reporters- Angela with Sir Jun Veliganio, Malou with Sir Reyn Nikko Sereno, Rechiel with Sir Monching Auxtero, and I was with Sir Allan Domingo. Jasmin is absent on this day.
      Around 8:00 pm, we left the station. Inside the car, Sir Allan informed me about his assignment---that's to cover the celebration of Eid'l Adha of the Muslim in Cebu Green Mosque in Day-as, Cebu City, a rally of KMP or Kilusang Magbubukid sa Pilipinas and Anak-Pawis, and a follow-up story of the fire victims in Pagsabungan, Mandaue City. He also inquired about my internship last semester. I felt so comfortable working with him because he is not intimidating. He knows when and where to punch his jokes. Also with us is the cameraman Mr. Joel Bajinting(I hope I did not misspell his last name.) I'm just really shocked when Sir Allan told me that I'll be the one to conduct the interview with the different sources. On that moment, I really wanted to go back to the station. But Sir Allan insisted and motivated me to do so as being seconded by Sir Joel. According to Sir Allan, it's his own way of training the interns---taking towards a reporters job. Later, I found it really good because it's the chance of the intern to showcase his ability and even proved his communication prowess. Thanks to Sir Allan for his initiative.
      I was quite shaking when I interviewed Abdullah Jeff Nacario, a muslim, asking him to elaborate the significance of the their celebration. I'm trying my best to contain the feeling of calmness. What I instilled in my subconscious mind is that "I'm gonna be okay. I know I can handle this well." I prayed to God asking His guidance. Of course, believing the power of optimism. Thank God everything did fine.
       We went immediately to a rally of KMP and Anak-Pawis outside Bureau of Agrarian Reform 7. Their concern is about the farmers welfare in pursuing House Bill 374 or Genuine Agrarian Reform Bill to become a law and seeking justice for the victims of Hacienda Luisita massacre four years ago. The incident slated seven(7) deaths, 200 were wounded and 120 were arrested. It's quite ironical that they conducted a rally fall on a holiday. Who would listen their plea? The guard on duty of BAR 7 was just laughing with their moves. It became nonsense and useless at all.
       After we went to our final destination which is in Pagsabungan, Mandaue City in order to follow-up the situation of fire victims. My God, I pity so much with their condition. I thought I'm so lucky to have a family in our humble home. Fire victims Dora Mabano and Anastacia Sellar, both were housewives, narrated to us their situation and still wanted to ask assistance especially in their basic needs. They were given a plastic bucket with rice, noodles, sardines, etc. yesterday by Kapuso Foundation through GMA 7 Cebu.
      November 17-Wednesday, it's a sunny afernoon and ready to go on field. Without my knowledge, I'll be with one of GMA's pride Ms. Lou-Anne Mae Rondina. She is cute and beautiful in person. Small but truly terrible. She is accommodating and nice. She doesn't want an intern to carry her bag. She just handed me to bring the microphone. Around 3:00 pm, we went immediately to Subangdaku, Mandaue City specifically at Sitio Lower Malibu in order to cover the convention between the dwellers association and city government of Mandaue in ironing out their unparalleled ideas. The issue centered on the disagreement of majority of the residents to come up a housing project. Some parts of the place had already started the project. According to the anti-group, they don't have enough money to pay for the project. It's a slum area in the southern part of Mandaue City. The pro-group said it's about time to have a descent home. I really understood that not all could afford the housing project because the bread and butter of most families there which the head of the family  is a pedicab driver. Just try to imagine, how could they pay the thousands worth of that housing project if they only earn enough for their basic necessities? Lucky are those who could eat three times a day. Another problem in the place is the improper drainage system which could instigate muddy and floody situation during rainy season. I just hope that Mayor Jonas Cortes and the rest of the city officials will address this serious problem.
       November 19-Friday, we don't have a class in Media Planning and Promotions. So I got the chance to to go on-field with Sir Christian Tafalla. We covered a conference between local government units and civil society organizations with representatives of PNoy's Administration. The conference is all about promoting awareness of the Millenium Development Goals or MDGs such as ending poverty line and hunger, reducing child mortality, improving maternal health, ensuring universal primary education, gender equality, fighting HIV/AIDS and ensuring environmental sustainability. The conference is spearheaded by Center for Participatory Governance in coordination with the Office of Cebu City Councilor Alvin M. Dizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment