Monday, December 6, 2010

November 22-27, 2010

       This week I got the chance to go on the field though it's not my schedule. Last November 22-Monday, I was with Sir Christian Tafalla and cameraman Sir Tata. We covered the "Capacity Development Expo Cy 2010 and Biyaheng Pinoy Program" launching at the training center of Department of Interior and Local Government Regional Office in Sudlon, Lahug, Cebu City. I saw my classmates Karen Ceniza, July Antoni Carmel and Junalyn Rufin who are connected with The Freeman. This year's theme is "Tapat na Palakad, Bayang Maunlad". Biyaheng Pinoy is the year-long celebration in preparation for the 20th anniversary of local autonomy in the Philippines. The program is initiated by DILG which features plethora of activities by local governance stakeholders all aimed at deepening national and local officials' consciousness on the value of local autonomy and heightening the public's awareness and participation in local governance issues.
     November 24-Wednesday, I was with Sir Christian and the cameraman Sir Joel Bajinting to interview a driver of a 21B route. There is city ordinance 6015 being passed which prohibited the public utility jeepneys bearing 21 and 22 Bs to enter the jurisdiction in the Jones and Colon  area of the city. All those PUJs are taking the Mandaue-Jones-Colon routes. This is the aftermath of the road incident last week between 21B and 21 D jeepneys in M. J. Cuenco Street causing number of passengers injured. With this, the CITOM head Mr. Jack Jakosalem triggered to pass the city ordinance. As what I've remembered, this has been a long issue since the time of the former mayor and now Cebu City South District Representaive Hon. Tomas Osmeña.
     November 26-Friday, I was only in the library and encoding the shotlists record since 2009 of the cameraman Mr. Renante Quiñones. In the afternoon, Malou and I observed the live broadcast of Balitang Bisdak.
     November 27-Saturday, I got the chance to have a duty on this day because we have no class in Media Education. I immediatley went to GMA around 1pm. I truly grabbed this rare opportunity. I was with Sir Nikko Sereno and cameraman Sir Godfrey Rellin. Our first assignment is a forum in SM City Cebu Entertainment Plaza entiled "Dymistifying the Childhood Cancer Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. The forum is about promoting awareness in early detection and prevention of leukemia. Especially that children are the common victim in this kind of deadly disease. This is indeed a noble cause of Kapwa Ko Mahal Ko.
     At 6pm, we went to Marco Polo Hotel in order to witness the lighting of Christmas Tree of Hope and Christmas Village. My God! It's really my first time in the only five star hotel in Cebu City before it changed its name from Cebu Plaza Hotel. I was amazed and excited. Of course, my first time to mingle with the elites in the society. When we arrived there were already a lot of people around and the guests of the hotel. Marco Polo's General Manager Hans Hauri welcomed the guests with the ever dynamic host from the capital Mr. Johnny Litton also graced the sparkling evening. Lofty foods and desserts would undeniably satisfy your hungry tummy and drinks that truly quenched your thirst. I just don't know how expensive those things then. I can't wait to see actor and politician Senator Tito Sotto  III who was the honored guest of the night with GMA-7 Cebu's Station Manager Ms. Ann Marie Tan. 
      But the important event of the night was the lighting of the Christmas Tree of Hope and Christmas Village which played essential role to the lives of the needy children. The Christmas Village will served as an instrument to help the children who are suffering from cancer through Kythe Foundation, while,  the proceeds of the Christmas Tree of Hope will directly go to the Kapuso Foundation. The donations will be a big help to the less fortunate people who needed most compared to us especially this Christmas season.
     During the event, I saw my classmate Ivan Velasquez, Losyll Villarico and Nelson del Mar who are having their intership in Amazing Cebu which also covered the event as well as Sir Bobby Nalzaro. I even saw my school paper adviser in our school paper "Ang Tanglaw" in Maguikay Elementary School---Mrs. Ruby Marie Basubas. She was with me when I competed in the National Schools Press Conference way back in 2002 in General Santos City, South Cotabato. With her that night is her husband and her cute baby girl. I'm just really happy seeing her again. Of course, she is happy too that I pursued the other side of me. I also met the former Vice-Chairman of Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency 7 Atty. Clarence Paul Oaminal which he proudly told that he is also a Josenian. What's really amazing that night is when we interviewed Sen. Sotto face to face. He truly built eye contact when he speak with you and that only meant he is talking from the heart. I could felt the gripped of her right hand when I was shaking my hand to him after the interview.
    Around 8:30pm, we went to Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral to cover the vigil mass of His Eminence Ricardo Vidal as his protest of passing Reproductive Health Bill into law. He thanked the attendees for showing support and even calling all Catholics to pray that the RH Bill will not be passed into law. I saw my classmate Ryan Christopher Sorote who is connected with The Freeman, Ador Vincent Mayol from Cebu Daily News and Justin Vestil from Sun.Star Cebu who also covered the vigil mass.



No comments:

Post a Comment